Ramaphosa confirms deployment of 550 soldiers to Gauteng

President Cyril Ramaphosa has confirmed that 550 soldiers have been deployed to Gauteng to aid police in the fight against crime.

The operation has been dubbed “Prosper” with the aim of tackling rampant illegal mining in the province.

Ramaphosa initially brought this intervention to light during his State of the Nation Address (SONA) last month.

Soldiers have also been deployed to the Western Cape, the Eastern Cape and the Free State to fight crime.

On Monday, Ramaphosa sent a letter to the National Assembly Speaker Thoko Didiza.

The Commander-in-Chief of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) said more than R80 million will be spent for the deployment in Gauteng.

The employment of the soldiers is for the period of 30 January 2026 until 30 April 2026.

ALSO READ:

SANDF deployment to combat crime is temporary, says General Sangweni

DA demands answers from Motshekga over alleged R50 million SANDF fund misappropriation

Jabulile Mbatha
www.ewn.co.za

Jabulile Mbatha
Author: Jabulile Mbatha

Scroll to Top